Life of Megan

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Saturday's run

Today I went out on my "long" run (I'm just starting my build-up after all the injury) of seven miles. The plan was to follow the Shannon Park route suggested by the Finger Lakes Running Club. I had checked out all the directions with Google maps and felt confident that it would be easy to follow. Most of the mileage was along one of two roads, and I knew I'd be able to remember all the names, so I thought trying it without driving it first would be all right.

I got lost twice. The first time, I was trying to run from Wyckoff to Highland, and I realized I'd been running farther than it seemed I should. Pretty soon, I saw a guy working in his yard, so I asked. He very nicely gave me detailed directions, and I thanked him profusely and turned around to go back about a quarter-mile before heading up a really steep hill, down another road, and on to Highland. Later, I remembered that the map showed a little dip iin that area. Later, I misread an intersection and failed to stay on Highland. This time, the mistake was more serious, as it took me almost half a mile to spot another street sign, which told me I had somehow wandered onto a different road. I thought maybe I would eventually cross the road I was seeking because of the way the road turned, so it took me another stretch to figure out I should just turn around. So on my way back, I asked some people who were out walking and who gave me great instructions but seemed very concerned about the distance I wanted to travel until I explained I was out for at least 7 miles. Thanking them profusely, I got back on track, permanently, this time. I was really lucky because only a few minutes later, my nose started bleeding, and I ended up with blood all over my shirt.

The run turned out to be really good but extremely hard (Ithaca is really hilly!). The people of the Finger Lakes Running Club claimed the last few milss would have a gentle downhill slope. There was a brief downhill stretch, but the rest was definitely a mix of some good uphills and some flat areas. The end was straight up! Grr... I knew it would be hard, as runners rarely use the word "stagger" when describing the end of a route, but sheesh!

Oh, well. I made it, and I feel great now. Next week, I need to pick out an eight-mile route. =)

2 Comments:

  • You might do really well to purchase a Garmin GPS unit. You might still get lost, but at least you will know how far you are going. And, if you really learn how to use the Garmin, it can get you back to your original start location. Of course, you could also learn to use a map :-)

    Avoiding the hills, however, is a completely different matter!!

    By Blogger Jay, at 12:12 PM  

  • I have been seriously considering it!!! I can use maps just fine, thank you--it's just remembering them when I'm hot and sweaty that's the problem. ;-) Anyhow, you've driven in Ithaca--you know how confusing it can be!

    Anyhow, don't worry--I always know how to get back!!!

    By Blogger megan, at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home