Life of Megan

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Campbell's Soup to Go... The well-paid graduate student's ramen.

I've experimented with a lot of lunch options, but when leftovers aren't available, I always seem to fall back to either PB&J or Campbell's Soup to Go. If I opt for the soup, I'm far less likely to abandon it for something else. My theory is that hot food gives you the illusion of being more full. It's also good because it takes a lot longer to eat than a PB&J sandwich.

Today, I tried a new flavor--Campbell's Chunky Grilled Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Sounds bad for you, doesn't it? I thought it would be right up there with New England Clam Chowder or Chicken and Dumplings, but it turns out that it's another pretty good option (along with the delightful Mexican tortilla soup and the Italian wedding soup). Assuming that like me, no one else on Earth actually sticks to the half-container serving suggestion, the soup clocks in at 240 calories, 6 g of fiber, and 5 g of fat, making it 4 points on the WW scale and leaving you room for a snack later. Surprisingly enough, the sausage tastes like good sausage I would buy at the store, and the chicken is tender and delicious. The soup also has large chunks of okra and celery and has a small but decent amount of rice, making it a soup you can chew. Like most of Campbell's soups, this one shouldn't be consumed by those who need to watch their sodium--the bowl has 66% of the daily recommended value. Still, if you have a great blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and you, like me, happen to be a salty sweater (if I were a guy, I would explain this phenomenon, but I'm not, so you can look it up), the sodium isn't that bad. And it's probably what makes the soup so delicious.

Bon appetit.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds good and I will now have to try it. Campbell's should consider you for ad writing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home