Life of Megan

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Big update

Well, I've been having a really nice time at home so far. It's always nice to take a break from school and get a new perspective on everything. I'm really happy I've gotten to spend so much time with my family. Other than a little tension resulting from my brother's desire to try out his new speakers and my desire to enjoy cable TV, we've all been in great spirits and have been getting along fabulously.

Christmas Eve, I got to go down to Greenville to meet up with Becky, Trevor, and Steve. It was really nice to talk to them, and I felt so lucky to get a chance to meet up with Becky again. I keep trying to figure out if I could make it to Lille sometime in the near future. =)

We always celebrate my birthday Christmas Eve, and this year was no different. We did the typical routine of church, followed by Chinese food, presents, and cake. The cake is always a big deal in my house. My mom is a great cook, and she's even had cake decorating classes. Usually, we pick something from the big Southern Living cake special. This year, the cake was a homemade chocolate velvet cake with homemade caramel filling and ganache icing. Mmm... It was definitely one of the best cakes I've ever eaten in my life, but I have not yet been able to finish a piece thicker than about a centimeter.

Christmas was wonderful and made me a little sad to be moving on next year. We have a system of traditions that has always served us well. My brother and I have small, artificial trees in our rooms, and Santa leaves a present under it to keep us occupied until it's time to go downstairs (well, this was the premise back in the days when we didn't have to set an alarm clock to wake up at a decent hour). We get showered and dressed, and head downstairs. What follows is a tradition of postponing gift opening that was always torturous as a child. We can't even look at what's in our stockings until we've had breakfast--usually homemade cinnamon buns. Then we get to see the stockings, but we take pains not to look at what's lying under the tree. Finally, after everyone has been through all the stockings' contents, we are finally allowed to move on to the Christmas gifts. It's strange overall, but it really helps Christmas last all day.

Christmas dinner was ham, macaroni and cheese, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, escalloped apples, pretzel salad, and assorted other goodies. I don't really like ham, but my mom had made turkey on Thursday, so I was happy.

Today, my mom and I went wedding-dress shopping. We found a dress early on at the first shop, but we confirmed it by looking at two other places. I'm quite happy with it, but I can't say much more because I don't want to give anything away to Judson. =)

That's about all I want to type right now. Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home