Life of Megan

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The house of a thousand lit wreaths and other Christmas stories

We Ithacans take our holidays seriously. The density of giant inflatable creatures appropriate to the season is extraordinary considering the town's affluence and average education. We have small, private Christmas-tree stands scattered about town, and decorations are springing up everywhere. Saturday morning, I was working on my term paper in the bay window at Jud's apartment, when Mike came in wanting to know if I had a saw. Out in the parking lot were three girls with a Christmas tree appropriate for a mansion with an open atrium, and they wanted to trim it down to fit in an apartment. I handed over my hacksaw and wished them the best. I figured they'd just give up. Who cuts through a giant Christmas tree with a small hacksaw? Anyhow, about 4 hours later, they brought back my saw and gave me a warm loaf of homemade pumpkin bread for my troubles. How great is that? Their tree takes up the entire window in their apartment, but I must say that it is pretty. The pumpkin bread was delicious too. Yum...

The other day, I was driving to the P&C (cheap grocery store), and I passed a house that has--with no exaggeration--at least nine wreaths scattered about the house and yard. It looks like a giant, multicolored game of ring toss. I will try to post a picture as soon as I can.

Anyhow, that was just a little reminder that I'm out here, alive, well, and busy. I hope to be back to my normal state of logorrhea by the end of next week. Until then, I have an exam tomorrow and a project due a week from today, and I'm incredibly stressed about both.

1 Comments:

  • It is looking alot like Christmas in Rock Hill, SC too. It was strange this year stopping in Boone on the way home from Ohio to chop down the Christmas tree without you. It seemed to take a lot longer. Perhaps it was becuase it was not freezing and snowing and windy but rather a nice sunny 50 degress but I choose to believe it was because we needed you to help us decide. Christmas changed for us 25 years ago on a cold snowy night as your very pregnant mom and dad headed to the hospital late that Christmas Eve to have you. What a gift we received at 6:40 AM Christmas morning. I will never forget seeing you all cleaned up and brought in to me in a big red stocking! This Christmas, as in the past, we will celebrate your birth joyously but with some tugs at our heartstrings as we know this will be the last Christmas we will share with you as a single woman. Future Christmases will be shared, as they should be with Judson's family. We will welcome him with open hearts and arms into our family and share with him all of the traditions we have established (even the Christmas Eve pajama present) but it will be different. So if this year I seem a bit more sentimental or reflective bare with me. My Christmas baby has become the woman I always dreamed she would be.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home