Life of Megan

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Yep, I'm a Good American

There was some panic that I might not be able to find my polling place last night as I drove about one of the most confusing streets in Ithaca, looking for an often-named but difficult to find street in fading light with a bunch of angry people who just wanted to get home zooming around me, but I persevered.

I got to vote at an elementary school. This was exciting mainly because I got to park in the principal's spot, and I felt really, really tall. New York State hasn't updated its voting machines for a while. I don't know if the other people my age got to learn about voting when they were in second grade, but I did. My school was a polling place, and they brought in the machines the Monday directly before the elections. My class marched over to the machines, learned how you pull the lever to close the curtain, flick the switches to cast our votes, and pull the lever again to register the votes and reopen the curtain. We all voted on something like what game we should play at recess. It was exciting. I carefully stowed away the experience in my memory, knowing that it might be important for me to remember in ten years when I could vote. Second grade was an important one. We also learned how to write checks and balance our checkbooks, give change quickly, and write in cursive.

Well, it's a good thing I paid attention, because the voting machines here are just like the ones I used so many years ago. The machines are a little intimidating, but over all, I think they're the best I've used. You can change your mind as you're in there, and it's very easy to see all your votes at the same time. Plus, it's all mechanical, which is fun in this modern world.

In the six years I've been eligible to vote, I've now voted three times. Not a bad record, but I can do better. I plan to buck the predictions about young people and vote every year from now on. Who cares if I'm just approving people who are running unopposed? Maybe if I'm out there asking questions, casting my votes, and encouraging others to do the same, I'll help improve my community.

I vote and pay taxes. I have a voice in my city, my county, my state, and my country.

Now where are my running trails?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home