Life of Megan

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Ten minutes to write this entry

My mom complained that I haven't updated for a while, and I have ten minutes before class, so I thought I'd give you all an update and a bunch of my random thoughts.

We have this Nor'easter coming through, and the weather is supposed to be especially terrible, but the only real difference is that it is slightly colder. It's been dark and rainy for the better part of the last few weeks. You just get used to it. When the sun's out, the light makes your eyes hurt. Anyhow, last night, I was watching the news just before leaving Jud's, and they predicted snow for those living at elevations over 800 ft. I was excited because I had the opportunity to test this out. Jud lives at about 850 ft, and my apartment is at 675 ft or so. So I left Jud's, and sure enough, it was snowing. Sure enough, the snow was rain at my apartment. Finger Lakes weather is strange. With all this cold, wintry weather, I finally switched on my heat and changed out my wardrobe. The shorts and most of my short-sleeved shirts are now packed away until Spring. I'm happy because I don't like summer heat, and I do like sweaters and sweatshirts.

In other news, I think I'm going to try to do the Knoxville Marathon. It's during my spring break, and it's close enough to SC that I could have crowd support (from my family). As you may have guessed by the fact that we had snow last night (at least on the top of the hill), it gets cold here in Ithaca. So I have to plan marathon training around winter. I don't mind running in the snow. Actually, this 35-degrees and raining is what I consider the worst weather, but it always seems good for my performance. Nothing like being wet and freezing to encourage you to run faster. But anyhow, when I'll be peaking for my marathon, the weather could be well into the negative-Fahrenheit range. Somewhere around -11F, it becomes uncomfortable to run for much more than an hour. So a 20-mi run is iffy. Fortunately, I found something called the SOS (something of substance) plan with max long runs of 16 miles. You just run a lot of other miles during the week, and you don't buffer the long runs with rest like you do on normal plans. People seem to be successful with it. You can read about it here

Oh, I'm out of town. Off to class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home