Life of Megan

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Give back to the community

Last year, I posted about my favorite charity, Child's Play, and I think I generated almost as large an impact as I did when posting about the Colgate 360 toothbrush (still my favorite toothbrush). So this year, I'm reminding everyone about this fabulous organization. =)

Child's Play has the humble goal of making children's hospital stays a little bit better. How, you ask? Simple--the guys who founded the organization, the authors of the web comic Penny Arcade--help hospitals set up Amazon.com wish lists for games/crafts/etc that will improve the quality of life for patients. There aren't any administrative fees, and no one will harass you to give more. You may even receive a nice thank-you card from the hospital.

There are a lot of people out there who need help. We have many, many diseases that we still don't understand and that still extol a huge toll on civilization. There are people who can't afford presents. And all of these are nice causes to support.

But right now, there are hundreds of kids battling disease in hospitals around the world. Wouldn't it be great to make their stays a bit more fun by giving them toys?

1 Comments:

  • I just sent 2 infant appropriate toys to the Children's Hospital in Louisville, KY. As a RN who has worked all of her career in Pediatrics I can't say how much these gifts will be appreciated by the children, their families and the staff. Hospitalization at anytime sucks! Play is one way to bring some normalcy to this very frightening time. I encourage all of you to chose an item and do the same. If money is an issue you can opt for random acts of kindness in your own communities. They cost nothing but give much!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home