Life of Megan

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Farfalle with Summer Squash and Lemon

I'm trying to do more cooking without recipes. The theory is that I know how to cook, and I know what tastes good together, so I should be able to figure it out. Tonight's experiment: a summery pasta dish, still served hot.

Note: I had some cannellini (small white) beans that I meant to add to this, but I forgot them. Judson and I think they'd fit in just fine.

Ingredients
  • Juice and zest of one lemon
  • 2 summer squashes (e.g. zucchini), cut into sticks
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 4 oz prosciutto, cubed
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 2 scallions, sliced
  • 8 oz farfalle or other pasta
Directions
  1. While you prep the veggies, bring a big pot of salted water to boil. You want to add enough salt so that the water tastes like sea water.
  2. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. When the butter is foamy, add the summer squash, and cook until done (if you're not sure, just taste it!). Remove the squash to a medium bowl using a slotted spoon. By now, your water should DEFINITELY be boiling. Add the pasta to the pot.
  3. Add the olive oil to the skillet. Cook the onions until slightly caramelized. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and cook until you can smell the garlic, and it has turned an almond color. Put the onions and garlic in the bowl with the squash.
  4. Add the prosciutto and cook until crispy. Add it to your veggie bowl.
  5. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Reduce the wine by approximately half. Add the lemon juice and stir well. Add the veggies and prosciutto. Add the scallions. Season with a little salt and a lot of pepper. The time it takes to cook the onions, garlic, and prosciutto should be less than the cooking time of the pasta.
  6. Test the pasta. When it is just a little too hard to cook (about a minute before you think it'll be ready to serve), drain it, reserving about 1 cup of the cooking liquid, just in case. Add the pasta to the skillet. Toss well and finish cooking, about 1 minute. If you don't have enough liquid to cover all the pasta, add some of the cooking liquid. Serve!
Serves 2-4, depending on hunger levels. I ate about 1/3 of it; Judson ate the rest.

Sorry that I'm a noob and didn't take a picture.

FYI, I used some sort of yellow squash.

2 Comments:

  • LOL..."some sorta yellow squash" I Love it!!

    The recipe sounds great though :)

    By Blogger Lynn Thompson, at 9:07 PM  

  • I just checked again--it was cucuzza squash. But I only know that because I bought it at Wegmans! =)

    By Blogger megan, at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home