Life of Megan

Monday, May 09, 2005

Spending spree

Well, I finally broke down and bought basically everything I've been seriously considering since August or earlier, and I am really excited about it. I bought:
  • A Black-and-Decker 10-cup food processor
  • A Soehnle Myra Digital Food Scale
  • A Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS/running system
  • A Trek 7100 hybrid bike and accesories
The food processor arrived today and has already saved me a ton of time. It works really well and can handle dough in addition to vegetables. It chops onion insanely quickly, and it handled my zuccini with ease.

The scale has 1-gram precision and can handle up to 2 kg. It has a nice tare function and wasn't too expensive. I had considered more precise scales, but I think volume measurements are sufficient when it comes to measurements that are on the order of 10 grams.

I had been considering the Forerunner ever since my dad bought his. I chose to go with the 201 over the slightly less expensive 101 edition because the 201 is slightly smaller and lighter, and I like the idea of uploading data from my runs to my computer. I am a geek, after all.

The bike seems well-suited to both road-riding and rails-on-trails cinder-type surfaces. I was able to take it on a test ride around Cornell's campus, which gave me some experience with hills, and it shifted very smoothly and felt great. Better yet, it was $200 below my price cap. It came with a bell, too. (My dad will understand why coming with a bell is great.) Along with the bike, I bought a helmet, a U-lock and cable, a water-bottle socket, and a front/rear light. So my riding will be legal in NY, even if I go out wthin an hour of dusk. I pick up the bike at the shop tomorrow, and I plan to use it for cross-training then.

Normally, I wouldn't buy so much stuff at one time, but these are all things that have been in and out of my online-baskets (or on my mind, anyhow) for months. I think they'll all be great for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home