Life of Megan

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Before the Boilermaker

The Utica Boilermaker is tomorrow. Because of race logistics, we are leaving Ithaca at 4:15 am so that we can arrive at the race by 6:30 or so. From there, we will be able to pick up our race packets and start waiting in the porta-potty lines, killing time until we arrive at the 8:00 start time.

This race is supposed to draw more than 10,000 runners, including a number of elite international runners. Kenyans have won the last several Boilermakers. The draw for Americans is the post-race party, which features plenty of free Saranac beer. The distance also makes the race appealing to runners training for marathons who like to run longer races as planning/pacing runs.

I am really happy and excited about the race because Judson volunteered to come along. I already convinced my friend Jordan to do the race so that I wouldn't have to go to Utica by myself. I picked up another carpool/running buddy, Sally, a Cornell student who needed a ride. I figured the start time would be prohibitively early for Judson. Besides, what would he do while we were running? But knowing how early we will be leaving and how boring the wait will be for him, Judson volunteered. It's great to know I'll have my own fan out there waiting for me, and it means so much to me that he wants to support my running and make sure I get back safely. This is a nicer gift than any flowers, chocolates, or teddy bears would be.

Well, I need to work on hydration and relaxation today. I'll post a race report tomorrow evening or Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home