Life of Megan

Friday, June 03, 2005

Teaching the teachers

It seems my first teaching experience will involve giving lectures to middle- and high-school math and science teachers at Cornell's annual Teacher Professional Development Day. As far as I can tell, the objective is to explain ongoing research to teachers in such a way that they can understand the material and use it to inspire their students. Dr. Zabaras correctly assumed I am the only one in the lab who thinks this sounds like a fun activity. I think the hardest part of this will be figuring out which aspects of my work are interesting to other people. Fortunately, the workshop isn't until March, so I have a while to think about it.

Meanwhile, I found out that staying at the Wickaninnish Inn would cost around $480 per night for the smallest rooms. This was one of the places I'd been considering for my honeymoon. The rates are $100-$200 cheaper per night for the non-summer months. So I haven't completely rejected the idea (hey, you only get one real honeymoon), but I am definitely going to look around for other places to stay and even other parts of the world to consider. The Wick Inn even sounds like it'd be more fun in the winter, when there are whales and big storms and the like. So now I'm looking into the Adirondacks and will probably investigate California (especially the San Francisco region) and Europe. I'm always open to honeymoon ideas. I don't want to go anywhere that could be considered "tropical." I'm just not a hot weather beach person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home