Life of Megan

Monday, May 16, 2005

First bike ride

Yesterday, Mike, Jud and I went out to the Outlet Trail for a long bike ride with a subsequent visit to Dr. Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars. The Outlet Trail is part of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, which basically seeks to convert unused railway tracks to biking/running/cross-country trails. The path we took was either 15 or 16 miles round-trip, and because I wanted to be close to the winery at the end, we ended up doing the easy way on the way out. The trail was really nice, but we were really glad we had hybrid bikes and not road bikes. The weather seemed perfect, and we kept a comfortable pace the entire time except for one bit on the way back when my hamstring was hurting, and I was feeling the effects of having forgotten my inhaler.

Dr. Frank's was a nice place that offered the best Gewurztraminer I've tried so far. I thought the Riesling was not quite crisp enough (a little round), so the Wiemer riesling is still best in my book. Dr. Frank's history was pretty interesting too. All in all, it was a nice winery to visit, despite the tour buses.

Today I am a little sore but am feeling a little sore but proud of myself for going so far on my second bike ride in years. I would like to get a good ride in at least once per week, but I don't know how that will work out with my long runs. It seems like it'd be kind of dumb to follow a long run with a long ride, but it worked for me this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home