Life of Megan

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Random musings

My quads were not as sore this morning as I'd feared they'd be, but my butt is still sore following yesterday's bike ride.

My bike manual was mainly in CD-ROM format. Very odd.

New York is trying to raise the smoking age to 19 so that it is illegal for any high-schooler to smoke. Vermont is trying to lower the drinking age back to 18. I don't really see how changing the smoking age will make a difference at this point, but I do think it's good to try to keep cigs away from schools. Of course, I think it's good to keep cigs away from everyone. Personally, I'd like to see more smoking lounges and stricter laws so that you can only smoke at home or in specially designated, closed-off places. I think Vermont's attempts to lower the drinking age are a step in the right direction, but I think it will probably lead to an increase in alcohol-related car fatalities as teenagers pour into the state from its borders. Maybe they could limit the law to VT residents. I wonder if alcohol-related car accident rates are higher along the Canadian border than they are in other parts of the US with similar demographics.

Three fishermen found a body in Ithaca Falls yesterday. The Cornell community is waiting to see if it is the body of a student, Daniel Pirfo, who disappeared almost a month ago after a night of heavy drinking. The body was decomposed, and no ID was found, so we are waiting for identification via dental records. If Ithaca Falls is where I think it is, it would be relatively easy for a drunk person to fall to his death there. I think we are all assuming the worst. Grief counselors are already preparing students. I can't imagine how horrible to be Daniel's friends, family, or roommates right now.

I really disliked the way Carolinians (and people from Charlotte, in particular) were described and portrayed on Sex in the City last night (reruns on TBS) last night. The couple, who had said they would let Charlotte (the character) and her husband adopt their baby, had thinning hair and heavy accents. They'd traveled to NY even though they had decided to keep the baby after all because they wanted a chance to see the city.

Gilmore Girls has definitely jumped the shark. I think this will be the last season I watch. Rory steals a boat? I don't think so!

My grandfather is having a pacemaker and automatic defribillator implanted tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers go out to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home