Life of Megan

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Free couch!

My advisor sent everyone in our group an e-mail earlier this week letting us know he had two sofas he was giving away free and would be sending to Salvation Army if we didn't claim them. I thought I had to act quickly to claim them and replied right away. As it turned out, the other guys in my lab weren't interested. The couches would be mine.

This brought up one small problem: transportation was up to us. We researched U-Haul. They have a rental place in Ithaca. Problem solved. We brought Jud's roommate Mike along, since he's 25, just in case. The rental cost us $20 plus $0.79/mile. The three of us squeezed into the cab (three seatbelts made this seem like a good idea) and headed over to Dr. Zabaras's house.

I don't know where Dr. Zabaras was, but his wife Beatrice, who's really nice, was out waiting for us. She helped us get them loaded in the truck and treated us to lemonade.

Now we are the proud owners of a sleeper sofa and a love seat that are both in excellent condition for a total of $37. They aren't ugly, but I'll probably want slip covers for them eventually.

Here's the sleeper-sofa:

And the love seat:

Here you can see the setup from a distance:

Here's how we'll eat:


Maybe to really understand how great it is, you need to see how comfortable we are...

Here's Jud getting ready to play Guild Wars:


And now he's ready to play!


This was a great gift from my advisor and will be much appreciated when Jud and I finally get to live together. Fortunately, I spend enough time at his apartment to enjoy my new furniture. =)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home