Life of Megan

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The joy of chicken thighs

Like most people in this modern world of "healthy cooking," I used to be chained to boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They can be cooked however you want, as long as you're willing to pound them to a homogeneous thickness or face tough meat or constantly struggle with the disparity between the size of the chicken breasts and the amount of chicken you're actually supposed to eat. But now, I'm free from this yoke. I discovered skinless chicken-thigh cutlets (aka boneless, skinless chicken thighs), and that has made all the difference.

Now, I can hear you thinking "but dark meat is so bad for you" yada yada yada. Sure, the thigh has more fat, but it has approximately the same number of calories as an equal amount of chicken breast (by weight), making the thigh feel more filling. Furthermore, chicken thighs start off at the right size. You don't have to figure out how to best cut one in half or into thirds without feeling cheated.

Better yet, chicken thighs are easier to cook than breasts. They remain juicy no matter what you do to them, and the meat is always tender. It's more flavorful than breast meat.

So I encourage you to try them out the next time you're looking for that mythic container of chicken breasts that weighs a pound and contains four breasts.

As for myself, I'm off to get lunch.

1 Comments:

  • YUM. I'm sold. Now if I can just find those at Carrefour...

    By Blogger RebeccaP, at 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home