Life of Megan

Monday, July 21, 2008

Quick Update

I've been very busy in the last few days. I haven't figured out what I feel like writing about, so I thought I'd do a quick rundown and make up my mind later.
  • I made sour cherry jam using only sour cherries, sugar, and a lemon. I did this because sour cherry jam seemed healthier than sour cherry pie, and I was inspired by an article in the Amateur Gourmet. It actually jelled, and it's tasty!
  • I went down to Lewisburg and helped Judson's family clear out his grandmother's house. This was a little sad and a lot of hard work. We did come away with a lot of cool furniture and silver pieces, etc.
  • I ate moules portugaises, which Judson cooked for dinner tonight and which were delicious. Incidentally, mussels only cost like $2.50/lb and cook in like 5-8 minutes.
  • Our dryer broke, and then was fixed. It turns out that the glowplug was at fault.
  • We bought a 7.2 cu-ft chest freezer.
Right around now, if you haven't left home to buy mussels, you should be wondering why in the world Judson and I would need or want a chest freezer.

Tomorrow, Judson is bringing home 1/6 of a cow, conveniently cut into roasts and steaks and ground into, well, ground beef. Some people in his office wanted to buy a half a cow, but they needed some others to help divide up the meat (newsflash: cows are big!)... So we went in for 1/3 of the half. The meat is from a local farmer/rancher. The steer had a good life and ate good food as part of a small establishment, and then it was butchered locally, and dry-aged for a while, and then frozen. It will be delicious. Yum. And the price is very nice, even after you factor in the cost of a brand new chest freezer.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home