Life of Megan

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Trying to Adopt...a Dog

Judson and I have decided we are ready for a dog. I've always wanted a dog. We had a couple when I was a kid, but for various reasons, they never worked out. Lady was too wild to be around my brother when he was still very little. Heidi was, well, I think she suffered a variety of problems as the result of being very inbred. Max was a great dog--we had him when I was at Clemson--but not only did I rarely see him, but he suffered terrible health problems and had to be put down when he was less than a year old. My mom got her shih tzu Lily a few years ago. I love Lily, but she's not mine.

But now, finally, I am in a stable environment, with a stable job. I have a fairly large yard. I live close to a dog park. We're no longer demolishing and rebuilding our kitchen. The time is right. I don't think Judson was as excited about being a dog owner at first, but I seem to have won him over.

We are trying to adopt a husky type dog. I want a dog that will run with me as far as I want to go. Judson wants a dog that kind of resembles a wolf and that does not constantly drool on you or drop balls in your lap. We'd like our dog to be at least a year old and to be housebroken already. We don't want a dog that is aggressive or that has extensive mental or health problems. That's about it.

We've found one excellent prospect, a husky-malamute mix named Yukon Jack. We met him on Tuesday, and he was wonderful. So now, we wait, read more about huskies, research other prospects if this doesn't work out, and try to figure out how to show that we'll be good owners even though we both work all day and that we're first-time owners.

Waiting sucks.

Anyhow, as we've read more about huskies, we've learned that they are extremely friendly dogs (to the point of being terrible guard dogs). They've very smart, but they bore easily. They can also be pretty stubborn. So we'll have our work cut out for us. But all in all, huskies seem to have a lot in common with Judson and me.

Time to go back to crossing my fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home