Life of Megan

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Comfort Food, Medium Healthy

With winter fast approaching, the Farmer's Market dwindling, and the sun hiding behind clouds until April, it is comfort-food season here in Ithaca. Sadly, comfort food is generally not low in calories, and even the most diligent portion-controller can struggle to find room for it. So today, I present a dish that is homey, easy, and fast. I would call it an Italian dish, but I don't actually know anything about Italian food (aside from the fact that the Romans thought cabbage was a panacea). I'm under the impression I invented this myself, but it's possible I read it somewhere, remembered the basics, and then later thought I invented it.

Please make up a name for it and tell me.

Ingredients:
  • 2 oz pancetta, preferably cut into roughly 3/8" cubes
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (28-oz) can crushed or whole tomatoes (and their juice)
  • 1-2 (14.5 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained
  • 8-10 oz fresh spinach
  • Salt and pepper
  • Crushed red pepper
  • 1-3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 oz Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
Quick note on ingredients: I like to get my pancetta by asking the deli to cut me one slice 1/4"-1/2" thick. The last time I made this dish, I used 1.25 cups of dried cannellini beans, which I cooked the night before.

Directions:
  1. In a large, high-sided skillet (or large saucepan), cook the pancetta over medium heat until it has rendered its delicious fat and is crispy. If you have defective pancetta, and you don't have enough fat in the pan to cook the onions, add a little olive oil.
  2. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic.
  3. When the garlic is golden and aromatic, add the tomatoes, deglazing the pan with their juice. Cook a few minutes until mixture is simmering.
  4. Add the beans. Taste and add salt if needed. Season with pepper and crushed red pepper.
  5. When the beans are hot, add the spinach in batches, mixing it with the other ingredients until it has wilted before adding more.
  6. Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, using a little at first and tasting as you go. Stir in about half the cheese.
  7. Serve in bowls, topping with more cheese and with a swirl of extra-virgin olive oil.
Serves 2.

Note on cooking: Please do NOT pass up on the olive oil at the end to save a few extra calories. You'll be using a teaspoon or less, and it greatly enhances the dish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home