Life of Megan

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Recent Food Experiments

This week, I learned that I like red cabbage. I braised it, mostly following a recipe in Tom Colicchio's Think Like a Chef. So there was onion, red wine, a little sugar, and some vinegar. I cooked it on Monday, and I think we're still farting, but it was good stuff.

Judson made a super-delicious "tarte alsacienne," which is not a quiche with sauerkraut, but is actually an apple-custard pie (at least according to Anthony Bourdain). As you should be able to guess from the inclusion of apples and custard, it was (and is) delicious. This pie actually caused a little tension, since I would basically starve myself in order to have a piece in the evening (while maintaining a calorie deficit for the day). If you know me, you know what I'm like when I'm hungry. Eek.

Judson also made a tasty acorn-squash and tomato soup. Mmm.

Then, tonight, I made a mushroom risotto. It was inspired by an article in Bitten that mentioned making risotto without chicken stock. And we have these dried porcinis, so it seemed like a good idea. It was delicious!

Tomorrow, we're going out for dinner. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home