Life of Megan

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Moroccan Stewed Chicken

I cheated when I issued my cooking challenge. Judson and I had already done our shopping for the week. We were planning to use all those items (and more) already.

Tonight's dinner was Moroccan Stewed Chicken.


These days, I am generally cooking without a recipe per se (though I am often inspired by what I see at Bitten), but this time, I cooked from a script. Tonight's dinner was one of the Epicurious/Nutrition Center's "Healthy Dinner Tonight" suggestions. Want to make it yourself? Go here. I get these recipes through an RSS feed (using Google Reader). I used canned whole tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes. I used freshly ground cumin (ground cumin seeds in my spice mill--far more flavorful than even fresh pre-ground cumin), and I probably used twice as much as the recipe recommends. I didn't have any thyme, fresh or dried, so I left it out. And I added more salt and lots of pepper. I sweated the onions instead of sauteeing them (leaving them translucent instead of gold). I think there's already plenty of sugar in this dish, and that it may be too sweet with caramelized onions.

Oh, and thanks to the GreenStar, I have the option of buying 3 cardamom pods. I'd be surprised if that's the case most places. If you want to try this recipe out, I'd probably substitute about 1/2 tsp ground cardamom. Alternatively, I think it'd be great if you omitted the cardamom and threw in a cinnamon stick.

I used my large Le Creuset casserole. I would recommend that if you do not have a very large casserole or skillet, that you make this recipe in an actual pot, because there is a ton of food. Finally, I recommend removing all the chicken after browning, then stirring in the tomatoes and using the juice to deglaze the pan. Then add everything else. This way, you get all the crusty, cuminy deliciousness into the sauce. Also, cook things by how they look, smell, feel, and taste first. Only use the times as a suggestion.

I definitely think this serves four. I had plenty to eat; Judson got seconds; and I think there's still half of it left.

Although the whole thing was time consuming, it was absolutely worth it. The flavors were delicious, and it was filling. I will definitely be making it again.

Wondering what else we're eating this week?
Saturday: Penne and sausage
Sunday: Pork in garlic sauce, Asian slaw, brown rice, gingered, sesame broccoli
Monday: Beef Burgundy, roasted green beans, lentils
Tuesday: Chicken with squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and dried apricots
Wednesday: Cannellini bean and kale soup (made with uber-gelatinous chicken-feet stock!)
Thursday: Mushroom and barley soup, homemade bread, salad
Friday: Cannellini beans, tomatoes, spinach, and basil with a touch of pancetta

1 Comments:

  • I am impressed about the week's menus. Saturday and Tuesday look like the days I would like to show up.

    I think it is harder to figure out what to eat than to cook it. But on the other hand, I don't do too much original cooking!!

    By Blogger Jay, at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home