Life of Megan

Saturday, May 23, 2009

There's Still Dirt under my Fingernails

Yesterday, when I got home, I wandered around our garden and noticed little red semispheres here and there, hiding under the radish greens. Because we had planted radishes in almost all the blank spaces in our garden to ward off weeds, and because I knew we'd be planting most of our remaining vegetables, I decided to pick a few.

Behold, the first of our garden bounty:



Judson did the same thing when he got home, so together we shared our small bounty of radishes (around eight each) with some butter and salt. This is practically the only way I know how to eat radishes. I thought the French were crazy for liking radishes this way when I was in France in college; now I see that I was the crazy one. Maybe it was the butter, or maybe it was just pride in eating something that I actually grew, but I don't think so. These radishes were delicious. Crisp and flavorful and surprisingly spicy.

Today, the real work began. We headed to the Farmer's Market just as it opened today, picking up vegetables for the week, a genuine porktopia from The Piggery (sausages, chorizo, pork jowl confit, rib tips, lard), and a number of vegetables we needed to start from plants, including most of the herbs we plan to grow, plus tomatoes and tomatillos.

We picked up some tomato cages and bean poles from Agway, and we rounded out our vegetables to plant from the collection at Early Bird Farm, a really cool nursery we recently discovered (thanks, Sue, for recommending it!).

Then we picked radishes, thinned our lettuce and arugula, weeded, planted, and sank the tomato cages. Tomorrow, we'll probably string our barbed wire and thin and support our fava beans.

Here's a little view of our garden:
View from the back corner


Arugula and radishes


Lettuces


Rhubarb, radishes, chives, garlic, lettuce


Endive, kohlrabi, arugula


Peas and fava beans


Tomatillos and tomatoes


Spinach


Herbs

1 Comments:

  • Awesome. So good to see pictures.

    By Anonymous Audrey, at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home