Life of Megan

Monday, January 31, 2005

From skiing to physical therapy

Just to clear things up, the physical therapy was not a result of a bad skiing experience. It just so happens that I went cross-country skiing yesterday and then went to physical therapy (PT) today.

Anyhow, Sunday, Jud and I went cross-country (Nordic) skiing at Greek Peak, which is only about 20 minutes from Ithaca. It was an interesting experience. The skis themselves are really long, and the boots are much more like normal boots than boots for downhill skiing. The actual motion of skiing is just like the Nordic Track machine. You sort of walk/skate in the skis while swinging your arms. I don't think I ever did figure out how to use the poles effectively, but Jud looked like he knew what he was doing. The most difficult thing about cross-country skiing is maneuvering on hills. If you don't use the poles effectively, you end up nordic-tracking for a while, just as if you were on a machine. Because the skis are so long, it's difficult to turn when you are going down hill, and you generally break/turn with the inside edge of the skis instead of the outside edge. I think I am more sore today than I would have been if I'd gone downhill skiing, but I am significantly less bruised. I did manage to fall so that my knee hit the edge of both skis, but it was the right (noninjured) knee, so no major complaints here, except for the bruise I keep forgetting I have.

The big experience today was visiting the physical therapist for my ITBS. I learned a few stretching and strengthening techniques but spent most of the time walking around, standing barefoot, standing in my orthotics, and standing in my shoes with the orthotics inserted. My feet were examined from all angles. I am glad they are not as blistery as normal. Anyhow, it seems that my orthotics aren't quite sturdy enough, so I will be getting new ones. At least this time the insurance covers it. It doesn't seem I'll be allowed to run in the near future, but I am on the road to recovery. It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time in the pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home