Life of Megan

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Cheap wine!

Every week, I read the New York Times "Wine of the Times" articles and think to myself, "Yeah, right--like I'm going to pay $35 or more for one of these wines that weren't even rated 'excellent'." But wonderful something happened recently--the reviewers are trying out more frugal options. Last week, it was rioja blanco (turns out I was incorrectly correcting spautz on the spelling!). This week, the article (registration required, yada yada yada) covered wines that cost less than $10. And the result? The review board was thoroughly impressed.

As it turns out, I had to run some errands in the vicinity of our best wine shop, Northside Wine and Spirits. Naturally, I thought it might be a good idea to search out some of these good, cheap wines. I printed off the article, recycled the pages that didn't have the wines listed, and walked confidently in the store. (I may be 24 years old, but I find I have to sign ledgers and whatnot unless I can make them believe I'm at least close to my age). As luck would have it, I couldn't find any of the wines listed in that particular article except for the Veramonte sauvignon blanc, which I already enjoyed a few months ago. I did pick up the $7 Marques de Caceres 2003 white rioja that I've heard good things about lately. I've already tried the rose by the same producer (80% tempranillo/20% grenache--delicious and cheap!), so I think it'll be good. I then sought help. I put myself on the call list for their next shipment of the expensive but supposedly excellent wines from Condrieu (N. Rhone--viognier), bought an Alsatian Grand Cru Gewurz, and found another budget wine to try out in place of the Vidal-Fleury.

So here's what I bought:
  • Marques de Caceres white rioja, DOC, 2003 ($7)
  • Jean-Luc Colombo Les Abeilles, Appellation Cotes-du-Rhones Controlee, 2003 ($8)
  • Albert Mann Furstentum Vielles Vignes Gewurztraminer, Appellation Alsace Grand-Cru Controlee, 2000, ($28)
Jud and I shared the Jean-Luc Colombo last night, and it was heavenly. Smooth, good tannins, great balance, strawberries and earth tones. Mmm.

I will update this post as I get home to see the actual vintages and check the labels and as I try the wines! This is it for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home