Life of Megan

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Signs from God?

Thursday night, I was ready to defy doctor's orders and restart my running routine (albeit slowly and with fewer miles) to help me keep my sanity as I wait for my next round of doctor's visits to roll around. I planned to get up early the next morning and coast along for 2 miles or so, taking more frequent walk breaks than normal. Later that night, I stubbed my little toe, causing it to bleed profusely, and (I think) to break). Broken little toes are no reason to go to a doctor; I bandaged, buddy-taped, and hobbled on my way. They do, however, hurt enough to keep me from running for a while.

Sunday, a bunch of us were having the old debate about whether we can really have free will if God is omniscient. I don't think it's a big deal. There are several possibilities. God could simply know us so well that he always knows what decision we'll make. God could see all possible choices, their consequences, and future choices that would arise as one huge web involving multiple people. It really doesn't matter. I can know what's going to happen without actually affecting it. I know my mom won't stop for Burger King on the way home from the YMCA, even if she's really hungry and has been craving a Whopper for months. But I'm not the one telling my mom she should pass up the opportunity. For that matter, God could give us free will, and then change the situation to force us to make a different decision. Maybe this is what happened with my toe. I practiced free will, God was like "Hold there a minute" and changed the situation. I still have free will. The weightings behind my decisions just changed a bit.

Anyhow, as all this has been going on, I've been debating whether I can really go to Martha's Vineyard for a few days with Judson later this month. I really haven't gotten as much work done as I'd like, but I've wanted to go to the Vineyard for years, and a few days won't really make a huge difference in the long run, except I might come back more motivated and more relaxed. Yesterday, my September (!) edition of Runner's World arrived. Each month Runner's World has an article about where to run in a particular region. September's location: Martha's Vineyard. Maybe it's not a sign from God, but it's good enough for me. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home