Life of Megan

Friday, March 24, 2006

Music on the run

Ever since I got a Shuffle for Christmas, I've been listening to music on most of my runs. I was a little hesitant at first because of concerns about hearing traffic, other people, etc and of not listening to my body if my knee/hip injuries flared up, but I seem to have figured out the right volume setting to hear both the music and my surroundings, and I am not so motivated that I would run through unusual pain. Now the big question is what to listen to. I still haven't finished loading all of my music onto iTunes, so I have a rather strange collection on my Shuffle that includes wedding music, Debussy, Dvorak, Bartok, Brian Setzer, swing, some rock, Explosions in the Sky, and a few of my brother's radio shows.

Out of all of this, my favorite is the swing. I also like running to Elvis's "A Little Less Conversation" (the remix used in the show Las Vegas), Setzer (which is a little more rockabilly than swing, for the most part), my brother's radio shows (he has nice transitions, and it keeps me from buying music by the Go! Team and by Boomish), and Dvorak's Symphony #9 (the New World symphony).

I have not tried but think I would enjoy music by the Grateful Dead and some indie rap/hip-hop. (I haven't tried it, but I'm sure Blackalicious's "Powers" would make an awesome running song).

So that's me for now. What do you like to work-out/run to? Give it up!

5 Comments:

  • I mostly listen to classic rock but I do try to add variety. Although most of what I listen to has a fast beat, it is also nice to sprinkle in a little bit of the Mamas and Papas, Elvis, and Peter, Paul & Mary.

    Layla is a favoite partly because it is so long. It also seems like Springsteen, Brubeck, Mellencamp, and Fleetwood Mac are playing a lot of the time.

    But I always look forward to hearing Louis Armstrong's What A Wonderful Life. That was the song that was playing as I approached the finish line of my marathon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:45 PM  

  • Current favorites are Fall Out Boy and Cascada, and if I'm baring all, Ashlee Simpson has some good get-you-moving songs too. My absolute favorites are techno/electronica/dance mixes, the ultimate greatest ever being Sandstorm by Darude. And I like to throw in a little Tiger Rag just for spirit.

    By Blogger RebeccaP, at 5:23 PM  

  • Do you happen to know if this Sandstorm thing is on one of the versions of DDR?

    By Blogger megan, at 9:07 PM  

  • Being a complete spaz when it comes to dancing of any type, I am completely ignorant of all things DDR (had to Google it to realize what you were talking about). However, Sandstorm was at the top of the US dance charts in 2003, so it could very well be on a version of DDR somewhere.

    By Blogger RebeccaP, at 6:03 AM  

  • Oh, it does... I hadn't thought of Googling the two together before. That's a pretty cool song. DDRmax also features the song "I like to move it," which my friends have been singing in a gleeful, half-joking manner lately.

    By Blogger megan, at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home