Life of Megan

Friday, July 25, 2008

Beef!

Some of you may be visiting us for dinner sometime this year. If the thought of eating steak named after the protagonist in a children's book is even slightly upsetting to you, you may want to skip this post.

As I mentioned in my last post, Judson and I purchased 1/6 of a cow. We ended up with about 75 lb of meat in the form of steaks (you ought to see these porterhouses--I think we'll have to have a dinner party to get them consumed), roasts, and ground beef. It ended up costing us $4/lb.

Our cow grew up in nearby Groton, NY, at a local farm. That's only about 17 miles from us. That is close enough to make Ed Begley, Jr. jealous. Seeing as how, according to the Simpsons, Ed's car is powered by his own sense of self-satisfaction, that's saying something.

Anyhow, because our cow grew up just down the road, and because we have quite a bit of him to eat, I feel like he deserves a bit more respect than your average meat. I mean, we looked at houses in Groton--maybe I saw him as a very young calf!

So I have decided to name him. Ferdinand. I sincerely hope that he enjoyed just sitting in the fields and smelling the flowers. Especially since we will be rewarded for his laziness in the form of more delicious meat.

I will write about said delicious meat as soon as we actually eat it. But this weekend, we're picking up some pork products from the guys at The Piggery, and since it's all fresh (not frozen), we will be eating that first. Wilbur? Babe? You pick.

2 Comments:

  • I have no problem with naming your beef Ferdinand but Babe or Wilbur is just wrong!! Porky would be much better!

    By Blogger Lynn Thompson, at 11:28 AM  

  • Take that, vegetarians!

    I'm proud of you!

    By Blogger adam, at 1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home