Life of Megan

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Sneezing, pasta, etc

First, I want to give you some tips about sneezing:
  1. Do not sneeze while exercising vigorously on exercise equipment.
  2. Do not sneeze while taking something out of the oven.
  3. Do not sneeze while putting something in the oven.
  4. Try not to sneeze while driving
Okay, now that that's covered, I have a little updating to do. It has been a while since I've put up a real post, and it will probably take longer between posts, simply because I've been really busy lately. Working on my wedding website is taking me a lot more time than I had originally planned, and now classes are back in session, and I'm trying to do research. It all makes for a busy Megan.

I recently discovered a really good spaghetti sauce recipe and have been delighting my friends with it. The first batch, just for Jud and me, was a huge success, so I made a double batch (nearly a gallon of sauce) and fed my gaming buddies Sunday. We had spaghetti again tonight. I would feel like an undergrad again, but I served the spaghetti with a really nice chianti that only cost me $9 (Villa di Campobello Chianti 2003, DOCG). Not a chianti classico (those tend to start around $15), but delicious just the same. It complimented the tomatoes and garlic surprisingly well. The folks at Northside Wine have never let me down.

I made a strawberry-rhubarb pie last week that turned out really well. It had one of my best crusts to date. It's awfully late in the season for rhubarb (generally an early spring vegetable), and the filling wasn't quite as good as my last strawberry-rhubarb pie, but that's not my concern. The phrase "easy as pie" refers to the fillings, not the crust. I worry about the crust, and then I mix the fruit with some flour and sugar and top with butter, and that's it.

I also discovered that Jud loves the Cooking Light peach-dijon chicken recipe. Well, he likes apricot-dijon chicken. I didn't have peach preserves. Apricots are close enough. If you're intrigued, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup peach preserves
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. water,
1 lb. chicken

Directions:
Spray large skillet with Pam or coat with a little olive oil. Cook chicken ~5 min/side over medium-high heat. Remove from pan. Add preserves, mustard, and water. Mix well over low heat until preserves dissolve. Return chicken to pan. Cook over low several minutes and serve.

I like to serve this chicken with green beans and parmesan couscous (available from the Far East company in super-easy-to-cook form).

Well, this has been basically about food, and now I need to move on to other projects.

Here's one thing to think about: if you see a wine bottle with a house or mansion on the label, you can feel confident it will be good. This comes from a world-class wine selector who spoke to my wines class next semester and is supported by our experiences.

5 Comments:

  • Hmm..that recipe seems strangely familiar. Don't forget to spray the skillet with Pam before browning the chicken! If you want to change it up a bit omit the mustard and water and use 2TBSP of balsmic vinegar and the same amt of peachor apricot preserves. Yummy!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

  • Good point about the Pam. You'll see I added that back to my post.

    I like the balsalmic vinegar approach too, but I always seem to mess up that recipe, and even when I don't, Jud doesn't like it as much. I definitely think the mustard version is better, but it's good to have options.

    Have you found any other uses for apricot preserves?

    By Blogger megan, at 10:39 AM  

  • Your Nana Jean just puts apricot preserves on chicken and bakes in the oven. If you choose to do the balsamic vinegar and preserves approach to the chicken you might also try raspberry preserves. I have done it that way as well and it is very good. I know how Judson likes raspberries.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 AM  

  • Hello megan
    And G'day from Downunder. I was hunting around the web for stuff on how to cook rice when I came across Sneezing, pasta, etc. It's just amazing what these searches turn up. I'm not sure I'm finding what I need, but I'm having a lot of fun. Have a great day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:02 PM  

  • I think I've found a search engine with a sense of humor - I was actually looking for articles on chicken, and here I am on a site called Sneezing, pasta, etc. There's probably an electronic explanation for this and I have enjoyed the experience, so no harm done. Have a nice day megan - if that's your real name :0)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home