Life of Megan

Saturday, April 29, 2006

First pie of 2006

People who say "easy as pie" don't have to clean up the mess you create as you make a pie. Anyhow, we are finally starting to get fresh rhubarb, so as a special treat for Judson, I made a strawberry-rhubarb pie, his favorite. It is still cooling, so I'll have to update you on flavor later. I have been steadily reducing the amount of sugar I use with each pie to reach his desired tartness level--I hope I got it this time. The crust was a bit of a problem--it seems like I have to make pies regularly to turn out a pretty crust--but I think it'll taste good.



Update:
The pie is excellent! I was using the recipe in the Betty Crocker retro cookbook, but because in the past, the pie had been a bit too sweet and a bit too runny, I added 1/3 cup less sugar, and I made sure to dry the fruit as much as possible. The result was a pie that wasn't runny and that had the tasty sweet-tart flavor Jud craved. Even the crust was great--the flakiest I've ever made!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need another piece...

1 Comments:

  • Rhubarb is a vegetable that looks like red celery and that is apparently really tart. I have never tried it by itself. It apprently needs at least two months of cold (not cool) weather to grow properly, which is why you probably haven't seen it. You can find it in the frozen foods aisle though. =)

    By Blogger megan, at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home