Life of Megan

Monday, April 10, 2006

Vow of silence

About ten days ago, Wednesday evening, I suddenly noticed my breathing wasn't normal. I figured it was some kind of asthma flair-up and didn't worry too much about it throughout Thursday, as I coughed away. I was tired and had a headache, but I hadn't slept well. Friday, I went to the doctor, having decided I actually had something flu-like (without the aches and high fever) and that I probably had a sinus infection anyhow (I'd been working on one), I went to the doctor.

Two and a half hours later, I left the doctor's office with hefty prescriptions for prednisone (a steroid) and antibiotics. I got a breathing treatment while I was there, but most of the time was spent worrying about DVT, which seemed highly unlikely from the start. Anyhow, my coughing started to improve, and I didn't feel short of breath anymore within a few days. The fatigue continued, and so did the headache and cough. I spent most of last week taking it easy. I'm feeling a lot better, but not 100%. Sometime around Monday, I got laryngitis. I haven't really been able to talk since.

It's been frustrating, since I'm a talkative person and all. I'd like to say I'm working on being a better listener, etc, but I think what's really happening is that I'm working on facial expressions. I don't have time to write notes. It's a good thing I type fast.

The nice thing about having laryngitis is that people are especially nice to you at doctor's offices, and at church you don't have to sing along to hymns when you can't really read music and you certainly can't carry a note. I figure it's okay anyhow, since I've been going to a Presbyterian church, and unlike the Methodists, the Presbyterians do not seem to have rules about singing that apply to the general congregation. (Go to a Methodist church sometime, and flip through the hymnal--you should see these rules printed there.)

Meanwhile, my mom has been calling me "froggy" and has illogically called me more frequently than normal. Thanks, Mom! You know, she's a nurse--she should know better than to make me talk.

The boys in my lab seem upset that I am not gargling warm salt water whenever I do need to talk to them, but they don't work to get to the phone before I'm stuck answering it either. =P

That's about all I have to say about not being able to talk. In other news, Jud and I started looking for houses, and I finally finished reading 1776. I had no idea 1776 was such a hard year for America! The book was fascinating, and I now feel much prouder to have once lived near a city named for Henry Knox. I started reading Like Water for Chocolate last night. I haven't been able to get into Latin American literature so far, but I think this book has promise. So far, I've read the January installment, and I think that I'll enjoy it for the language, if nothing else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home