Life of Megan

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Red Jacket Orchards

My friends, I would like to talk to you about juice. And about cider.

I think it's easy to be oblivious to how tasty various juices can be. Sure, we drink juice when we think it will solve our health problems. Pomegranate juice had its day. Now we've moved on to the remarkable acai berry and its juice. Sour cherry juice is also popular these days. But if you've already graduated preschool, it's unlikely that you find many opportunities to try and relish new juices.

In my area, apple cider and apple juice are king. This is because Cornell has been instrumental in developing new apple varieties and promoting them in this country. Right now, the Geneva agricultural station, in Geneva, NY, is home to some of the world's cutting edge apple research. (I'm not making this up... Google it if you must.)

Is it any wonder, then, that what turns out to be the world's best juice producer, Red Jacket Orchards, is located in Geneva, NY?

A while ago, I noticed Red Jacket in the juice/soda cases at local shops. I didn't think much of it. But then, just a few weeks ago, I tried their cranberry apple cider. It was sublime. And the ingredients list was delightfully simple: the juice only involved apples and cranberries. It even had 3 grams of fiber per serving! Since then, I've tried the apple cider (tasty) and the fabulous Joe's Summer Blend (apple and lemon juice).

If you're in the Northeast or the Mid-Atlantic region, I urge you to try to find these juices. If not, you can order some online. Or if you know me personally, I may get some for you as a gift some time.

Hmm... All this typing has made me thirsty...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home