Life of Megan

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Foxy wine, news, and rambling

First, I am disappointed to announce that the numbered door inside the women's bathroom in Snee Hall (room 1021A) is locked. Today I detected a hint of bleach wafting under the doors, so I think it's safe to assume that it is, in fact, a supply closet. Maybe the room is numbered out of respect for geologists' (apparent) obsession with labelling and numbering things.

Now, on to wines class. Today we covered New York State, Oregon, and Washington wines. It was not a good tasting day for me. We had one nice Pinot Noir from Long Island and one decent Chardonnay from a local winery (Fox Run). I had basically given up on Chardonnay, but this one was interesting. It was the first wine I've tried that genuinely tasted buttery, and I think that was enough to amuse me. I'm not sure I'd want to buy it. The Riesling we tried seemed too sweet, even if it was a dry version. The professor attributed that to the temperature (the wine was a little too warm), but I have my doubts. We also got to sample a wine made from grapes native to North America. This is significant because almost all of the tasty wine grapes are of the species Vitis vinifera. Native American grapes are mostly Vitis labrusca. Our native wines are often described as "foxy", which is a flavor I've been eager (though wary) to experience. So today, we tried a wine made from Niagara grapes. It tasted like musky grape juice. Euw.

Jud and I have seemingly settled on having the wedding sometime in August 2006. I will not entertain any more comments about how far away that is! I have no idea how venue scheduling here is, but it is certain that if I want to get married in one of the Cornell chapels, I have to wait (as they require reservations a year in advance). This is my wedding, and I want to have time to make it perfect!!!

Okay, sorry. I have been a little frustrated with people about that issue today.

Now on to the rambling. . .

Why do scientists always refer to "the literature" as if it's a place? Here's an example from one of my textbooks: "In the literature one can also find dynamic Monte Carlo schemes." What is the literature, anyway? I'm sorry, sir. I'm looking for the literature. Can you help me find it? "Sure. You go straight for about two blocks, then take a left near the experts, and it'll be on your right." Ugh.

1 Comments:

  • Just wanted to leave some heartfelt sympathy for your frustration...and a word of advice. Contrary to what you may believe, your wedding is not your own. It is everyone else's who has ever known you, liked you, and loved you. They WILL give you their opinions and they WILL let you know when they disagree with your choices, which will be on practically everything. But just take it as a sign of their affection, and do it your way anyway. They love you, and ultimately, they will do whatever you tell them. :)

    If you need to get exclaimers off your back, just tell them about your weird friends who waited two and a half years from engagement to wedding (that'd be us). Or you can bust out the statistic that the average engagement in America is about 14 months now - you guys are pretty much on track.

    By Blogger RebeccaP, at 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home