Life of Megan

Sunday, February 13, 2005

A gathering of thoughts

Jud and I had a really fun time touring some of the local wineries yesterday. We discovered a really tasty white varietal called Traminette, which is from a grape developed at Cornell to have spicy aromas reminiscent of Gewurtztraminer. It smelled spicy and of tropical fruits, and it didn't disappoint once it reached the mouth. We ultimately bought six bottles of wine from four different vineyards. Tasty.

Between two of the vineyards, we slowed down when a deer suddenly ran into the road. We missed that deer, but just as we thought we were safe, a second deer jumped over the bank, along with three of its friends. We glanced the second deer on his butt, destroying the headlight unit on the driver's side of Jud's car. The deer continued to run into the woods, so we don't know how badly he was injured. There was a tuft of fur in the hood of the car, but no blood. The light itself still works, so Jud's going to try to get that fixed soon.

Meanwhile, Runner's World online has an article about the syndrome that's been ruining my running, ITBS. You can follow this link to find out more about it. I hope that my syndrome isn't turning chronic. I hope to get back to normal quickly once I have good shoes. I am in that class of runners (representing 40% of the ITBS population) who developed the problem after more than five years of running. Euw. If I had had a choice in the matter, I would have stuck with the achilles or patellar tendinitis that hurt my running my first year on the cross-country team.

I also learned that my cousin Mark and his wife Molly are expecting their first child. They got married in June in the Bahamas.

My friends Jason and Amanda and their baby Elizabeth are getting settled in their first house. They have about 4 acres of land and a relatively large house just outside of Huntsville, AL, where Jason started work in December after finishing his graduate school work.

I have a ton of kinetics homework to finish over the weekend, so I'd better get to work. As my running hero, John Bingham, says, "Waddle on, friends."

2 Comments:

  • I love Traminette! They make a Traminette wine at the local winery here, Oliver, but all they can tell you is that it's a hybrid. They have no idea what it's a hybrid of, because that information isn't printed in the brochure. So all I know is that it's the Traminer grape and something else. That's cool that it comes from Cornell - I'd love to hear more.

    Completely unrelated to wine, Megan, you'll be proud of me. I've really become addicted to running, so I've given myself a goal to work toward. I registered for a 5k. My first race! :) It's in May, so hopefully I'll be in good enough shape to turn in a decent performance. What's a good time for that distance?

    By Blogger RebeccaP, at 9:12 PM  

  • Traminette is a varietal, so the wine itself should just be made out of one grape. That grape is a hybrid of the Traminer and some other grapes. :-)

    I'm glad you're enjoying running, but take it easy. You don't want to be injured and bitter like me! There is no such thing as a "good" time for your first race. You want to be able to maintain a constant effort throughout the race. After the first, a good time is one that was as good as or better than your last time. ;-) Good luck!

    By Blogger megan, at 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home