Life of Megan

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Snow words and language

To my credit, I never claimed the Inuit have *hundreds* of words for snow. I just said many. I've heard the urban legend, but I was mainly just assuming that they would be able to express, in a single word, that small, dry flakes are falling quickly and densely. And it seems that I'm right about that. I think a major problem with English is that we can't just create new words. I can't express in one word how the snow is falling unless I invent a word describing the phenomenon. Then I have to make my word really popular, so that it's included in a dictionary. That's a lot of work. A German or an Inuit can just string some words together into one word, and the other Germans or Inuits will know what he means. That's powerful. That also seems faster than needing conjunctions and the like to make the description sound half-decent.

Anyhow, I was trying to read up on Inuit words for snow, which has been challenging since I don't know anything about linguistics, and I came upon an article about how to count Yu'pik words for snow, which ended by listing snow-related lexemes. They seem to have several useful ones, so I think I'll be using those to refer to corresponding types of snow as soon as I figure out how I want to pronounce them. Right now, fine snow particles are falling. Kanevvluk.

1 Comments:

  • I wasn't attacking your particular comment, just the larger myth in general. It's one of those ridiculous language myths that's based on a dumb stereotype - it would be like if people decided to start saying that the French have 74 different words for wine. Really, Inuit doesn't have any more snow terminology than English (even if we have to use phrases because we can't concatenate our lexemes the way Eskimo languages do). :)

    By Blogger RebeccaP, at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home