Life of Megan

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Argh!

Jud and I have been watching a lot of Wheel of Fortune lately because the 7:00 Seinfeld was replaced with Everyone Loves Raymond. This is all just to pass the time before Jeopardy starts. Now we can hardly stand to watch the interview segment--the part of the show where Pat talks to the contestants. This is because almost all of them are married, and when Pat says "You're married?" they all answer:

"Yes. I'm married to my husband Dave..."

Then today we were flipping channels and heard: "I'm engaged to my fiance Tim"

How can we claim that language evolution is a good thing if it results in redundant bullshit like this?

3 Comments:

  • Maybe the point of using such language is to avoid confusion. Imagine this:

    "You're married?"

    "Yes. To Sam."

    "He's a lucky guy."

    "Lucky girl. Her name's Samantha."

    And I fucking laughed my ass off when I read the phrase "redundant bullshit". Never heard those two words in tandem...

    ---X

    By Blogger X, at 1:11 PM  

  • Well, there's nothing wrong with saying: "Yes. My husband, Sam, ..."

    By Blogger megan, at 1:34 PM  

  • Maybe the excitement of being on Wheel of Fortune gets to them and overwhelms the parts of their brains responsible for coherent speech.

    Which, no doubt, results in redundant bullshit.

    ---X

    By Blogger X, at 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home